Confessions of a deeply superficial person.

Confessions of a deeply superficial person.
Imagine the Possibilities

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cooking makes me happy


Tonight I made my own version of Chicken Marsala. I call it "Poor Chick's Chicken Marsala." Which, rather by the seat of my pants, turned out to be mushrooms sauteed in butter and Marsala wine (I try to keep a bottle in the fridge it make everything taste carmel-y and delicious.) Boneless skinless chicken thighs (dark meat tends to be cheaper and, in my opinion, more flavorful,) tenderized, by a kitchen mallet and the remainder of my traffic stress from driving home, then I tossed the thinly pounded thighs into a bowl of flour and coated each piece evenly and lightly. I proceeded to cook the chicken in the remaining butter and Marsala from the mushrooms. After the chicken was done, ( it cooks fairly quickly because it's so thin after tenderizing) I poured some more Marsala into the, now empty, pan and made a wine reduction so all the alcohol burned off and a thicker Marsala flavored, syrup like, sauce remained, which I then drizzled over the chicken and mushrooms.
Traditionally Chicken Marsala is made with chicken breast meat and also has sauteed onions, but considering it's right before pay day and I had no onion in the house I had to stoop to a fairly bastardized version for flavor and I reached for my onion powder. It gets the job done, but I would have rather had a real onion. It was delicious and only took me about 20 mins to make from opening the fridge (and seeing I needed to cook the mushrooms before they went bad,) to sitting down to eat. It was delicious and just goes to show with a well stocked kitchen and the remainder of last weeks groceries you can have a fabulous meal and not have to leave a tip! Plus it makes for very yummy left-overs.

1 comment:

Tannertrue said...

Seeing this right before I left for class was torture. I mean my grilled ham and cheese was delicious. But, compared to this amazing smelling/looking chicken Marsala? Sorry ham and cheese you just don't measure up.